Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Everything, Everything

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon (ISBN: 978-0-553-49664-2)

I have tried starting this paragraph four times, and I don't even know where to begin.  The cover! The clever format!  The emotional moments of this book which caused me to use up 7 tissues between 10:30 and 12:15pm!  The twist! 

Basically I loved Everything, Everything and everything about it.

I was told about this book by a number of people, and it's been creating buzz in both entertainment and literary circles.  I finally got around to reading it and have had the story re-running through my head ever since. I'm not going to lie - I do like a smidge of romance in my books - but I am not a romance-a-holic.  It's not my favorite genre, and there needs to be something else holding me to the story.  Like in The Fault in Our Stars by the wonderful John Green.  Is there romance?  Yes.  But is there a depth to the story and characters that also holds you there?  Yes.  So it is with Everything, Everything.  It made me laugh, and cry, and feel all the feels, and surprised me as well.

Madeline cannot leave her house because of a rare disease in which she's essentially allergic to the entire world.  She lives in a home that boasts a hospital grade HVAC system that completely clears the air of all toxins, and people cannot enter the front door without going through a special airlock.  Madeline's mother, who is actually a doctor, as well as an in-home nurse are her only companions.  But all of that is disrupted when a new family moves in next door, and she lays her eyes on the mysterious teen aged son Olly.  They begin communicating using a bundt cake (yes, don't ask) and window sign-language.  Eventually, she's able to text and e-mail with Olly, and her longing for friendship and the outside world grow.  I can't say more... because that would start to ruin important parts of the plot... and I would never, ever, ever do that.  Librarian's honor.  

One of the more delightful features about this book is the fact that it's interspersed with all kinds of fun formats: diary entries, text chains, emails, microscopic book reviews, imaginative sketches (drawn by the author's husband!), and more.  Madeline loves architecture and at one point designs a restaurant where an astronaut might dine.

 I could go on, but you should really read this book to see for yourself what all of the buzz is about.

Speaking of buzz, there is also a movie.  I haven't seen it yet, but here's the trailer from YouTube.  BUT WAIT - stupid movies... stupid trailers... they include spoilers!  If you don't want to spoil the book, stop watching at 1:37.  That is all.

Here's another little tid-bit of my own - my own teaser video featuring me and my cat.  There are no spoilers.  But there is a cat.



Need a tee or two for this book?  Try these!
First, you might want to take Madeline's advice and...

Or perhaps you want to take Olly's advice and do more... 

No comments:

Post a Comment