Thursday, December 28, 2017

Flying Lessons, and Other Stories

Flying Lessons, and Other Stories - edited by Ellen Oh (ISBN: 978-1101934593)

Is this my first time reviewing a collection of short stories?  I think it might be!  This book is another I read on my quest for summer reading options that address diversity.  What an absolute winner!  PLUS, it's a nominee for this year's Delaware Diamond book award, which means I'm encouraging Delawarean children to read it anyway. ;o ) This delightful book includes short stories by: 

With a line-up like that, how could I not read this book?  As mentioned previously, our school is looking to expose students to the broader idea of diversity as something that we all have.  Just because you are Caucasian in a predominantly white area does not mean you lack diversity as an individual.  Likewise, a school filled with Muslim children is still diverse in the many ways that each child might approach political issues or math problems.  We are all unique in some way.

So with short stories about Hispanic ballers, Middle Eastern travelers, young crushes, alcoholic parents, loss and heartache and stereotypes and coming-of-age, there is something here for everyone.  If the most controversial thing I could think to say about this book is that in one story, the word "ass" is used one time, I think we're doing a great job.  I believe this book would be perfect for reluctant readers, or any person who only has a few minutes to read while sitting in a doctor's office or on the toilet.  We need books like this!  Furthermore, this book is published in large part because of the phenomenal work of the people at We Need Diverse Books (and we really do, too).  Because really, every child should be able see themselves in the pages of a book - or become more aware of those outside of their tiny part of the universe as well.

Want more?
Here's a little tidbit about how this book came to be:


Homemade tees: with a book that includes many stories, it's hard to sum up this tome in a single tee.  So instead, I found one that hints at my favorite, most hilarious part of one of the stories.  You'll have to read this great collection in order to get my silly reference.


No comments:

Post a Comment